COVID-19 response & policies
August 20th 2020
Based on the fact that 97.5% develop symptoms within 11.5 days, we will be opening 12 days after our latest known COVID exposure. We have been working with Vancouver Coastal Health to make opening as safe as possible. Some new protocols are in place to keep us all safe:
I will not attend Harbour Dance Centre if..
- In the past 14 days, I have had any symptom of COVID-19, including but not limited to fever, cough, sore throat, diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, running nose/nasal congestion, headaches, fatigue, muscle aches, loss of appetite or difficulty breathing;
- I or anyone I live with has tested positive for COVID-19, and I have not yet been cleared to discontinue isolation in accordance with applicable criteria communicated by public health officials;
- In the past 14 days, I have had close contact with a person who, to my knowledge, had any symptoms of COVID-19 or has tested positive for COVID-19, and I have not yet been cleared to discontinue isolation in accordance with applicable criteria communicated by public health officials; or
- I am currently subject to a quarantine or self-isolation order.
New & updated protocol
Please wear a mask (New)
We kindly ask you to wear a mask when entering and exiting the studio. It is not mandatory to wear a mask while dancing. The potential to contaminate your mucus membrane (eyes and mouth) by touching your face is very high with dance movement. You will not be admitted to the studio without a mask. You may bring your own mask or purchase an HDC one for $15 + tax.
Sanitize your hands (New)
Please hand sanitize upon entering the building.
No changing rooms (Updated)
A reminder that the changing rooms are closed. Please come dressed for class. Only use the bathrooms to change after class, if you absolutely have to, to distance yourself from others.
Social distance (Updated)
Please keep your social distance in class on your markers and upon entering/leaving the building. No high 5’s or hugging.
We have a 15 minute buffer between classes to allow time for proper disinfecting as well as adequate time to enter/exit the building and avoid congestion in the walkways.
Reduced class sizes
Class sizes have been reduced to 14-20 people depending on the size of the studio. This will allow enough space between students in the class. Each studio is marked with spots on the floor to enforce social distance in class.
Online registration only
We no longer accept walk-in's. All classes must be booked ahead of time on our website or through our HDC app. Class sign in closes 10 minutes before class.
One way path
We have designated our Granville street entrance as the entry, and the back staircase to the alley as the exit. An HDC staff member will be present to show you where to go.
Jazz warm up / Stretch & Strength
We will be eliminating shared resources such as gym mats. Please bring your own towel or yoga mat to minimize your contact with the floor.
Possible COVID-19 exposure
We recently became aware that of one of our instructors who has tested COVID-19 positive on August 11th. They likely contracted it at a dance community party on August 2nd. Also, a student tested positive upon their return to China (it is unclear to where they contracted the virus, but there is the possibility that they were asymptomatically positive when at Harbour Dance).
While the risk is small, and we’ve implemented social distancing and enhanced cleaning practices, there is a chance you could have been exposed to the virus.
Possible exposure took place during these classes:
- Tuesday, Aug 4 - Advanced Choreography at 8:00pm (studio #2)
- Thursday, Aug 6 - Advanced Choreography at 1:45pm (studio #2)
- Friday, Aug 7 - Jazz Funk at 2:00pm (studio #2)
- Saturday, Aug 8 - Intro Hip Hop at 12:45pm (studio #4)
We urge you to closely monitor your health. If you feel any symptoms please get tested and isolate while you wait for the results (see link below).
Almost all of our street styles staff are trying to get tested or are awaiting results. The problem is that some of them are being turned away as they are not showing symptoms. We have asked to be made aware of any results (positive or negative) as well as expect self-quarantine. As soon as we know any more information, we will inform all our students via email.